Liberal Democrat campaigners Farooq Qureshi and Farid Ahmed have stepped up their campaign against Boris Johnson’s ticket office closures following confirmation that all four tube stations in the borough will be affected.
Sign their petition at www.ourcampaign.org.uk/ticketoffices.
In total Waltham Forest will lose nearly 60 hours of cover a week. The Mayor’s plan will hit late evening cover especially hard.
- Walthamstow Central will close at 9.30pm instead of 11.30pm on weekdays
- Blackhorse Road ticket office will shut at 6pm instead of 10pm on Saturdays
- Leyton ticket office will shut at 9.30 pm instead of 10.30 pm on weekdays
- Leytonstone will close at 8.45 pm instead of 11 pm on Sundays.
Cllr Qureshi, who is parliamentary candidate for Leyton and Wanstead, said:
“Waltham Forest has been hit hard by the Conservative Mayor’s broken promise. He said he would keep ticket offices open – but now travellers will face deserted ticket offices in the evenings just when demand for security is greatest. That’s why I’ve launched a petition and am asking for people’s experiences. I want as many people s possible to show their concern.”
Farooq Qureshi, Farid Ahmed and the Liberal Democrat team have launched a petition against the closures. Passengers can sign online at www.ourcampaign.org.uk/ticketoffices or call 020 8556 8335 for a petition form.
Full details of the proposed changes are:
- Weekdays – will open from 0600-1945 instead of 0530-2100
- Saturdays – will open from 0645-1800 instead of 0630-2200
- Sundays – will open from 0945-1645 instead of 0800-2000
This means the ticket office will be closed for 18 hours a week less than currently.
- Weekdays – will open from 0545-2130 instead of 0530-2330
- Saturdays – will open from 0645-2145 instead of 0600-0000
- Sundays – will open from 0900-1900 instead of 0900-1100 and 12.30-23.00
This means the ticket office will be closed for 17 hours 45 mins a week less than currently.
- Weekdays – will open from 0600-2130 instead of 0530-2300
- Saturdays – will open from 0645-2200 instead of 0530-2230
- Sundays – will open from 0715-2100 instead of 0700-2300
This is 13 hours 30 mins a week less than currently.
- Weekdays – will open from 0545-2015 instead of 0530-2200
- Saturdays – will open from 0645-2045 instead of 0600-2200
- Sundays – will open from 0730-2045 instead of 0700-2300
This is 11 hours 15 mins a week less than currently.
In total Waltham Forest is losing nearly 60 hours of ticket office cover.